Russian Camera Lens = Midget Telescope

Davoyles

Russian Camera Lens = Midget Telescope

Postby Davoyles » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:03 am

I visited my great uncle and his friend who apparently has a camera collection of SLR's (and a few other Misc. as well.)
I thought this one would look good in the Top 15 Unusual cameras as a side note thingy or line to the pics. Anyway here is his most impressive lens that this guy had.
Built by Russians during the Cold War it was designed to give massive magnification in half the length of a conventional camera lens using mirrors to "cut up" and complete an image, somewhat similar to a satellite dish, in a more efficient space. (For use with a tripod only)
Attachments
20170325_152617.jpg
Here you can see the two-tiered system that allows the length of the lens to be cut in half while offering the same magnification as a full-length lens
20170325_152610.jpg
This lens is attached to a Cannon EOS 1D MK3 with (I may be wrong) with a motor drive
Last edited by Davoyles on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here's my collection athttp://collectiblend.com/Cameras/mycamprofile.php?uid=3891
Feel free to request more pictures.

diser
Site Admin

Re: Russian Camera Lens = Midget Telescope

Postby diser » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:41 pm

Mirror lens is built like many telescopes. Usually it allows a higher magnification at a cheaper price.

What's the widest aperture for this one?

Davoyles

Re: Russian Camera Lens = Midget Telescope

Postby Davoyles » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:33 pm

diser wrote:Mirror lens is built like many telescopes. Usually, it allows a higher magnification at a cheaper price.

What's the widest aperture for this one?

I believe it was 42~48, something marble sized. This was an early Mirror lens so it only had two or three apertures.
Here's my collection athttp://collectiblend.com/Cameras/mycamprofile.php?uid=3891
Feel free to request more pictures.

Return to “Other”