Unknown camera

If you can't find a camera on our web-site, you may ask for the free appraisal or identification here.
Piki88

Unknown camera

Postby Piki88 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:50 am

Good morning,

recently I received an old accordion camera and I am trying to sell it.

The point is that I am not an expert of these kind of cameras and I haven't been able to identify which model this could be.
There doesn't seem to be anything written on it, neither the name of the producer, nor the model.
The only thing I see is the name "Dr. Luettke & Arndt" on the lens, but I couldn't tell if this is the producer of the whole camera or of the lens only.

Hope that someone will help me solving the mistery :)
Attachments
01300900409282.jpg
image-03-01-15-04-32-1.jpeg
image-03-01-15-04-32.jpeg

John Kratz

Re: Unknown camera

Postby John Kratz » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:23 am

Can you make out what it says on the handle?
Have a look at some of the cameras in my collection:
http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/mycamprofile.php?uid=396

Daniel C

Postby Daniel C » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:30 am

According to the McKeown guide, Luttke & Arndt produced photographic papers, plates and chemicals as well as cameras between 1895 and 1905/6. The company changed its name to Arndt & Lowengard in 1907.
Luttke & Arndt produced a range of horizontal folding plate cameras in format 9x12 and 13x18 cm.
It could be possible for your camera to be one of them but i did not find any evidence of it.

Many cameras shown on the net and said to be made by Luttke & Arndt have the very special shape of the upper end of the columns forming part of the lens stand

Daniel

PS: The shutter of your camera seems to be an Unicum

Piki88

Postby Piki88 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:40 am

John Kratz wrote:Can you make out what it says on the handle?

Dr. Luettke & Arndt also on the handle, I didn't notice it before! So I guess the producer made both the camera and the lens..

Piki88

Postby Piki88 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:44 am

Daniel C wrote:According to the McKeown guide, Luttke & Arndt produced photographic papers, plates and chemicals as well as cameras between 1895 and 1905/6. The company changed its name to Arndt & Lowengard in 1907.
Luttke & Arndt produced a range of horizontal folding plate cameras in format 9x12 and 13x18 cm.
It could be possible for your camera to be one of them but i did not find any evidence of it.

Many cameras shown on the net and said to be made by Luttke & Arndt have the very special shape of the upper end of the columns forming part of the lens stand

Daniel

PS: The shutter of your camera seems to be an Unicum

Thank you very much, Daniel, that was very helpful..
I measured the plates and, indeed, they are a 13x18 cm format.

Somewhere I found this picture of Luettke & Arndt's Bella camera.. it looks pretty similar to mine, I think..

I just can't figure out the potential price I could ask for this camera, since it doesn't seem to be very common
Attachments
download.jpg

diser
Site Admin

Postby diser » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:32 pm

That Bella was made by Leonar KW, which was a successor to Lüttke & Arndt.
Since yours is marked as Lüttke & Arndt, it should be a pre-1905 model. Of course it could be a transitioning model.

Piki88

Postby Piki88 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:08 pm

diser wrote:That Bella was made by Leonar KW, which was a successor to Lüttke & Arndt.
Since yours is marked as Lüttke & Arndt, it should be a pre-1905 model. Of course it could be a transitioning model.

Thank you very much, Dieser.

It seems impossible to identify the exact model :(

Do you perhaps have any idea of the price I could ask for?

Return to “Appraisal and identification questions”