old camera

If you can't find a camera on our web-site, you may ask for the free appraisal or identification here.
pommac

old camera

Postby pommac » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:30 pm

Hello from Finland!
I have a old camera, it must be all the way from before the II word war, because it belonged to my grandmas first husband who took photos with it in the war.
Anyways, I cant find any info about it anywhere. It is a black folding camera, and only text it has is " FILMEX" on its cover. Its got the Ludwig-Dresden Vitcar lens in it. And its got the same symbol or logo that the czech Vrsofot Epifoka. But its not that camera, only the lens and the metal surrounding looks the same. Its in rather good condition. Is there any chance to know more about this camera and how.
Yours Sincerely: Saku Heinonen (jpommac@hotmail.com)

diser
Site Admin

Re: old camera

Postby diser » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:56 pm

Dear Saku,
Could you post a photo of this camera, please? Click "upload attachment" on the bottom of the reply screen.
Also, "FILMEX" or "FILMAX"? There were several folding models of Filmax cameras manufactured before the WWII. And these cameras were manufactured in Czechoslovakia (as lens board).

pommac

Postby pommac » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:27 pm

Here is the picture of it. I wonder whats the sign in the lens. It must be the factory or something.
Attachments
camphot1.JPG
camphot1.JPG (206.58 KiB) Viewed 19755 times

pommac

Postby pommac » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:29 pm

I could swear it says FILMEX in it, its pretty hard to read but I think it says FILMEX not filmax.
Attachments
camphotclose.JPG
camphotclose.JPG (206.57 KiB) Viewed 19743 times

pommac

Postby pommac » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:33 pm

And here is the closeup of the lens, where you can see the sign. Only camera I could find with that same symbol, was czech vrsofot epifoka, but I guess this camera is different.
Attachments
camphotclose1.JPG
camphotclose1.JPG (213 KiB) Viewed 19737 times

diser
Site Admin

Postby diser » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:48 pm

Saku, you are right, it's definitely a filmex.
It could a camera by Birnbaum (Czechoslovakia), which was not manufacturing it's own cameras, but was re-branding others. They have been selling a lot of cameras without names, with some unknown names, etc. It could be one of those cameras. I'll try to find the original manufacturer.

diser
Site Admin

Postby diser » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:06 pm

It seems like rebadged Beier Beirax 6x9 cm (1936). Looks exactly the same, the lens is the same, as well as shutter (shutter manufacturer is unknown, could be Stelo, or Beier's own).

pommac

Postby pommac » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:47 am

Hey!
Super! I just took one roll of pictures with this camera. And I think it works just fine. This information is priceless to me, thankyou so much. Its so weird that there was no info about this camera anywhere, though internet was full of old cameras. But this rebranding procedure was probably the answer. I wonder how the got license to do that. Isnt Beier Beirax very recognizebly brand and so on, how could they rebrand it and why? Do you have any idea about the price or value of this one? Its super that you have been able to find out this information, Thankyou very much!
Saku

diser
Site Admin

Postby diser » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:00 am

Saku,
I am afraid it doesn't cost a fortune. It may cost more than Beirax (which is about $30) because of the re-branding, but I wouldn't expect a lot of interest from buyers since there is no description of the "Filmex" anywhere.
There is a lot of information on Beirax on the Thomas Knorre site - http://www.beier-kamera.de/html/rollfil ... 6_x_9.html

pommac

Postby pommac » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:55 pm

Yep!
Well I dont mind that. Its very important to me and i wouldnt sell it anyways in any price. That camera sure is a piece of work! Im happy!

Return to “Appraisal and identification questions”