New Taiwan: Suntone MM500 Deluxe-I (Optical Color Lens)

Notes related to specific cameras
bill339

New Taiwan: Suntone MM500 Deluxe-I (Optical Color Lens)

Postby bill339 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:33 pm

The Suntone MM500 Deluxe-I is a basic camera for 35mm film made in Taiwan in the 1980s. It has a fixed-focus lens, a simple choice of exposure settings, and manual thumb wheel film advance and crank rewind. It's one of those cameras whose styling tries to trick people into thinking it is a higher-grade piece of equipment than it actually is. The front of the camera features the infamous phrases "Optical Color Lens" and "Auto Fix Focus 50mm Lens 1:6". The camera goes as far as adding a pound and a half of metal weights to give the feel of a TTL expensive camera. Some other features are a two connector hot shoe, fold down rewind crank, rewind release button, optical viewfinder, frame counter, carry strap, and a ¼ inch 20 thread plastic tripod socket. The camera has four ISO 100 film exposure settings marked with icons of a sun, sunset, sun plus cloud, and a cloud with a lightning bolt for flash and four ISO 200 film exposure settings marked with icons of a sunset, sun plus cloud, cloud plus rain, and a lightning bolt for flash. The settings are the same four settings with different icons and only effect the four aperture positions. The lens is the same lens that was used for hundreds of fake TTL cameras and give away promotional gimmicks like the Time magazine camera. The camera came in two color combinations of all black and black top with yellow body.

Return to “Camera comments”