Unusual quesion from writer

jbmwriter

Unusual quesion from writer

Postby jbmwriter » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:36 pm

Dear Forum,

My name is Jeff Miller and I'm a freelance writer in Denver. I'm hoping that one of you might be able to help me with an antique Kodak-related question.

I'm currently working on an historical article that I plan on submitting to Smithsonian's Indelible Images department, which focuses on photography.

The article is about my grandfather who was a travel lecturer in 1915, lecturing on Rome and Naples. In 1914 he spent six months in Italy, doing researching and taking photos.

What I know from his trip notes and lectures is that he took with him three Kodak cameras and bought 150 rolls of Kodak film at 40 cents each (both six and 12 exposure). The negatives I have are 3 1/4 by 5 1/2. From your website I've found out that those negatives indicate 122 roll film.

Unfortunately, he did NOT say in his notes what his cameras were. I'm hoping in the article to give at least an educated guess as what his cameras might have been.

The only info I have to go on is what I've just given you and the attached image (taken by his father). Since he got to Italy in January 1914, that probably means he bought the camera in 1913, maybe 1912.

With such a small amount of information, is there anyone who can give me an educated guess as to what series the camera was?

Thanks in advance for any insight you might be able to provide.

Regards, Jeff
Attachments
camera.jpg
photo of camera in backround

Luvantique

Re: Unusual quesion from writer

Postby Luvantique » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:18 pm

3-1/4 x 5-1/2 is post card size, so the camera in the photo is a No. 3A Folding Pocket Kodak.

diser
Site Admin

Re: Unusual quesion from writer

Postby diser » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:59 am

Luvantique is right, this is 3A, pocket version like "Folding Pocket No. 3A", Autographic 3A, or simply "Kodak No.3A Special"
Here are several 3A models: http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/search.php?param=Kodak+3A

Jeff, if any of the negatives are marked on top or bottom with the hand-written notes, but the notes are actually imprinted into the negative, this is could be Autographic No.3A (though he must have gotten it in 1914, as soon as it hit the shelves). It's hard to say from the photo if back has the autographic window.

If there are no autographic signs, this is Folding Pocket 3A or 3A Special. "Special" was kind of upgraded Folding Pocket, so there is no way to tell unless one can see the lens/shutter combination (or color of the leather, which close to impossible on the black/white photos).

Overall I still lean to the Luvantique's suggestion.

Return to “Other”