New Chapter

diser
Site Admin

New Chapter

Postby diser » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:11 pm

When I started working on CollectiBlend, my main driving factor was a general lack of online price-guides for collectible cameras. Of course, there were several great books for serious collectors, however for occasional buyer or seller, spending several hundred dollars on a good price guide like McKeown’s (a Bible of price guides) was not an option. At that time only few online resources were available with rather limited content:

- camprice.com by Douglas St. Denny which, unfortunately, was a paid membership only;
    - antiquecameras.net by Dan Colucci which provided mostly Rollei prices;
    - photographica-world.de by Klaus-Dieter Müller, which was outdated, and didn’t have descriptions or photos.
While all these resources were great for even amature collectors, they weren’t a good fit for a sporadic buyer. I was hoping James McKeown will publish his 13th edition online, but this wasn’t happening year after year. Thus, the CollectiBlend was born as some sort of an open source price guide, showing previous auction sales, allowing visitors to add prices and images. I was hoping this will set an example for reputable book guides to get online. Well, after nine years of waiting, the wait is over! As you may have already heard, James McKeown is finally considering going online this year! If this happens, it’s going to be a great additional source for all camera collectors across the world.

With all that said, don’t worry, I am not planning to drop developing CollectiBlend, as I believe variety of sources is always beneficial to the public. Moreover, a lot of wonderful people are helping with the content, and a lot of collectors use the site to keep their inventory. It would be unfair to stop supporting the community. The sales data is being constantly gathered, the information about cameras is being updated, and the new functionality is added for collectors from time to time. I may not be visible on the forum all the time, only because I am concentrated on the site content more than on forum questions.

Oh, and have a Happy New Year, everybody!

Madd10

Re: New Chapter

Postby Madd10 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:06 pm

Diser, many thanks for building this site and continuing to maintain it. Even if Mckeown comes up with a web site (which will undoubtedly also be a paid site) I think that CollectiBlend has the main advantage of continuously capturing prices from a variety of sources. I also believe that the other content is extremely useful to any camera collector.
Keep up the good work !!
Interested in seeing what I am collecting ? Check out my camera collection:
http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/mycamprofile.php?uid=988

mauro.corneo

Postby mauro.corneo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:58 pm

Hello, I am registered recently, but it helped me a lot "Collectiblend", congratulations for the work you have done. A happy 2016 to all
Best Regards Mauro

Jeff L

Postby Jeff L » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:02 pm

I think I have said it before and I will say it once more THANK YOU for doing this. I have enjoyed the site for a while now, it has been very useful, and I always use it as a reference before I make a purchase to my collection. the fantastic thing is that it also gives us a place to put what we have with out the need of making a blog or website just to show others to that we collect. The capability to be able to explain about them and add pictures is wonderful. I am here for the duration and don't see me leaving. It's too unique to let it go.

My hats off to you and your great site!
Stop in a take a look at my beloved cameras, and read my comments about them!
http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/mycamprofile.php?uid=2649

bill339

Postby bill339 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:56 pm

Hi, you have created the most comprehensive camera data base and price guide in the world today. The color pictures of the actual cameras set this site apart from even what McKeown’s can provide and it is an honor for all of us to contribute. I cannot thank you enough for giving me a place to view my collection simply by opening your site. I also thank you for the countless hours you spend administering to all the nuances of a site of this complexity. The style and ease of use of your creation should be a template for any site.

Thanks again,
Bill Hughes ollectiblend member

Madd10

Postby Madd10 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:02 am

We are now April 2018, more that 2 years after Diser's first post

... and still waiting for McKeown http://mckcamera.com/

diser
Site Admin

Postby diser » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:57 pm

It's true, I haven't seen any updates from James on his web-site. I don't have any information why - is it personal issues getting in a way, or online version wasn't as easy as expected, no clue.

diser
Site Admin

Postby diser » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:28 pm

It's coming.

Madd10

Postby Madd10 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:43 am

When ?
I don't see any change on their Web site

diser
Site Admin

Postby diser » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:24 pm

Mark,
Here is a screenshot from July 2018
https://www.awesomescreenshot.com/image ... 0c02798216
The web-site is not publicly available yet, and I haven't seen any information on timing.

Return to “Other”