How do you display the collection?

Jeff L

How do you display the collection?

Postby Jeff L » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:38 pm

Today I carefully packed most of my cameras up. No I am not quitting so don't ask the obvious question :)
Instead I needed to take them down because I am getting ready to remolded my living room.
While doing this.. I was wondering how others display their collection.

So how do you display yours? Do display some of the extra bits with them?
I think it would be interesting to know!(And maybe get some ideas!)

OHH.. And no I will still work on adding pictures of my lovelies to my inventory.I can't put them away and forget about them till I am done.
Stop in a take a look at my beloved cameras, and read my comments about them!
http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/mycamprofile.php?uid=2649

Daniel C

Re: How do you display the collection?

Postby Daniel C » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:52 am

Well....Not an easy question. :mrgreen:
Solutions may be very different with respect to many parameters.
Displaying cameras on shelves seems to be the obvious way ....but is to be avoided in any cases.
Cameras displayed on open shelves will rapidly suffer from dust deposit or/and fungus on optics if in the room the humidity is high.
In addition, they may be subject to bad handling by inexperienced people.

The best solution is to display your cameras in closed glass cabinets with some bags of desiccant material.
Inside the glass cabinets, the cameras must not received any direct sun rays (heat raise in the cabinet and fading problems of the coloured camera parts.)
Be careful of the heat that may be generated by lights integrated at the top of some glass cabinets.

Obviously, if you have a lot of cameras, displaying all of them in your living room may rapidly be impossible because of induced cost or area limitation.

I have stored my cameras in plastic (PCV) cabinets closed with doors and with some silica gel to avoid dust and humidity problems These plastic cabinets are installed in the basement of my house and from time to time, some of my gems are extracted to be installed for display in one single glass cabinet located in my living room.

Long time storage of cameras wrapped in paper or piled up in cardboard box is to be avoided because of possible development of fungus.

Daniel

Return to “Other”