average price of transactions.

Improvements, bugs, etc.
ph.

average price of transactions.

Postby ph. » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:44 pm

You cooperate with Ebay in showing fairly precise links to current auctions. Ebay might not agree, but it would be in the interest of both sites if you were to automatically extract running averages of finished transaction prices. In that way your
auction-price scales would be supplemented by current values.

p.

diser
Site Admin

Re: average price of transactions.

Postby diser » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:32 am

I thought about it for a while, even when I started the collectiblend, I was trying to automatically generate this data, but , there are way too many challenges which can't be solved in many cases. People don't indicate camera names, manufacturer names, model designations properly; the condition varies from "ok" to "looks great considering age" which is usually below average, rarely people are following any standards, only well established sellers do this; for-parts items are rarely shown in the proper category, and low selling price can significantly skew the result. I tried something like this a long time ago, the results were unfulfilling :? . If only eBay creates a proper list of camera names, asks everyone to follow condition guidelines, and bans people for not following it... :roll:

ph.

Postby ph. » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:12 am

Solid reasoning. So it is Ebay, who do not bother much about standards who needs to reform first. However, the Ebay auctions linked to some of your lens lists might perhaps as an experiment have their final prices averaged?

(A bit harsh on customers, however to ban them for listing Lieca Elmer and Zeizz Plenar).

p.

diser
Site Admin

Postby diser » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:17 pm

:D Yeah, that's why I mentioned condition guidance, not naming. "good considering age" isn't a proper description. Also many cameras are listed without any cosmetic or functional notes, which makes it a gamble for buyers.

One thing that I added to the site though (thanks Madd10 for idea) - when you are adding an eBay sale to a camera, you can choose a "well-known", reputable seller from the dropdown list. If you do that, the weight of that sale price is higher, comparing to regular eBay sales added by people. If you think more sellers should be added, let me know.

diser
Site Admin

Postby diser » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:16 pm

Return to “Site suggestions”