Heavy Cam 3.5cm Nickel Elmar

If you can't find a camera on our web-site, you may ask for the free appraisal or identification here.
willijt

Heavy Cam 3.5cm Nickel Elmar

Postby willijt » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:51 pm

Hello All,

Thanks for the add to your group. Name is Jim Williams from Winnipeg, Manitoba.

I would like to pose a question. I have recently acquired a lovely 3.5cm f/3.5 nickel Elmar lens. I sent it to Youxin Ye to have him CLA it for me and he remarked that he thought it was rare. It has what he called a heavy cam and does not have a serial number. The glass elements are uncoated. When it is mounted on my Leica IIIc the focus button is in the 9 o'clock position. I purchased to use for everyday B&W film shooting with my IIIc but if it is rare, I might be more comfortable with a "clunker". So, the question is, does anyone have any experience with these lenses? Is it in fact a rare item?

Thank you in advance,
Jim W.

box86rowh

Re: Heavy Cam 3.5cm Nickel Elmar

Postby box86rowh » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:42 pm

It is a rare lens for sure, hard to value it for a few reasons. It doesn't have a lot of sale records and the ones there are, are kind of old. Youxin is an expert so it is rare for sure! If I had to guess, I would say it has a value of around 5-700.

willijt

Postby willijt » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:19 am

Thank you very much for getting back to me with this information. That being the case I think I will try to sell it and just run with my trusty Summaron - though flawed with a bit of balsam, it still takes remarkable images. So the next challenge will be to find a sale venue that has the appropriate audience. Open to recommendations...

Gratefully,
jim williams

box86rowh

Postby box86rowh » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:07 pm

I would stick it on eBay and let the market decide, make sure you specify it had a CLA!

Return to “Appraisal and identification questions”