Angenieux Retrofocus R1 F.35/1:2,5 Leica m mount

If you can't find a camera on our web-site, you may ask for the free appraisal or identification here.
Dnd

Re: Angenieux Retrofocus R1 F.35/1:2,5 Leica m mount

Postby Dnd » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:20 am

I will let you know..

ph.

Postby ph. » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:38 pm

The most recent westlicht (leica) auction had a pristine Angenieux R1 with the correct front lid that went for 900Euros.not very informative text in the catalogue, but the R1 was the worlds very first large production retrofocus lens (i.e. with a long enough distance from the rear lens to clear a SLR mirror. So your copy is much sought after by collectors-like most angenieux products.

p.

Dnd

Postby Dnd » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:53 pm

ph: I appreciate your comment. It seems that retrofocus series was very new by then (year 51/52). I am trying to understand what you wrote: Is that there were no wide-angle lenses for 35 mm photography before ?

ph.

Postby ph. » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:02 am

leica had summarons and Oude Delft made a 38mm for Alpa, but both relied on a relatively short distance between the rear eement and the fikm plane

The introdustion of the opposite of what makes a log forcus legth a shortertele lens, a negative, concave element , not at the back but in fromnt of the core optics, made a longer distance to the film plane posssible.

Zeiss followed up the successs of Pierre Angenieux`s retrofocus through Flektogon in Jena and Distagon in Oberkochen, Schneider with Curtagon.

Angenieux continued to make well renowned primes for the "amateur" market eventually fro Alpa from 24mm to 180mm and went on to specialize in lenses for the Cinema especially with variable focal lenght,-zooms ,the last two fast (apochromatic) telephoto lenses they made for amateurs incorporated zoom technology`s moving internal elements to ccorrect for the inevitable faults following from changing focus (rather like todays wide angles that correct for close focus).

p.

Dnd

Postby Dnd » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:09 pm

So, when Angenieux designed the retrofocus it was not strictly necessary for 35 mm photography. By then, there was the option to shorten the distance between the rear element and the film plane. But the Retrofocus design became a must in wide-angle lenses for SRL cameras because it was needed to make room for the mirror. This is why the lens is so important?
It was like a fish with legs?. (Sorry if this comment is too obvious. For me it is a revelation)

ph.

Postby ph. » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:10 am

necessary? Well, Leica , Contax and Nikon could do with BIogon-type symmetrical wides, but Exakta, the new Contax slr, Practica and Asahis could certainly need wide angles, so the innovation by Pierre Angenieux was absolutely in time to meet demand.

p.

Dnd

Postby Dnd » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:15 am

ph, thanks, this has been very educative.
This is from the US patent application (1950: US2649022A) in google patents: "It is known that in some photographic or cinematographic cameras, notably of the Reflex type, it is not possible to use conventional wideangle objectives, since these could not be pl sufficiently near to the sensitive surface for obtaining a suitable focusing of the camera. The space occupied by the mirror in Reflex cameras or by the shutter in cinematographic cameras is too large for permitting the use of objectives wherein the distance between the last lens and the focal plane is short"
So the fish grew legs to walk

It remains to be determined the significance of the serial number.
Does anybody knows where to find, from the serial number, how many copies anteceded mine ?

box86rowh

Postby box86rowh » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:23 pm

Unfortunately I don't think serial number records for this lens were as good as Leica. I don't think there is a way to know how many were made before and after yours.

Return to “Appraisal and identification questions”