Durst Duca - Red

If you can't find a camera on our web-site, you may ask for the free appraisal or identification here.
Islandor

Durst Duca - Red

Postby Islandor » Tue May 02, 2017 3:39 am

Hi,

Haven't posted here in the forums before but use the site often for valuations and study. Appreciate all of the hard work that goes into such an undertaking. My current questions are regarding the Durst Duca. The site shows 3 models:

Black: $70 ~ $180 with comment "Several colors"
Blue: $480 ~ $1,200
Red: $70 ~ $180 with comment " Most likely post-factory paint"

So it seems that the Black is the standard version, colored are rarer, and from searching the net this certainly seems to be the case. Member here Mr. Mauro Corneo shows a Black and a Red version amoungst his vast collection, and he notes that there are only the 3 colors produced, as above. My questions are then:

Why is the note added to the Red version " Most likely post-factory paint" even there, or is the site now valuing re-painted cameras? It would seem better to value the Original factory painted version. We all know that there is re-painting going on for many cameras... Leica... Nikon et al.

Where are all of these "post-factory" painted cameras? I have certainly not seen them in Google searches, hard to find even the real ones in fact. I also wonder where the information came from about "post factory" painted ones? I can not find it in my research. (but it may well be out there somewhere!)

The photo in the listing shows a nice Red version, is it meant to be a "post-factory" painted one? It certainly seems to be an original.

Thanks again for all of the great info provided here!

John Kratz

Re: Durst Duca - Red

Postby John Kratz » Tue May 02, 2017 5:01 am

I'm also curious about this, as I have a red one in my inventory.
When I posted my camera to my inventory page, there was a separate listing for blue but not for red. Now there is a separate listing for red, but the "post-factory paint" comment confuses me. Why would the red ones be post-factory paint?

I don't have McKeown's Guide in front of me at the moment, but Lind's List has separate listings for black, blue, brown, red, & white. I have yet to see examples in brown or white, but certainly the blue & red ones seem (relatively) common enough.

Also if colors other than black are to be listed separately, the "several colors" comment should be removed from the black listing.
Have a look at some of the cameras in my collection:
http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/mycamprofile.php?uid=396

diser
Site Admin

Postby diser » Tue May 02, 2017 7:42 am

Everyone,
Here is what happened. Mark (madd10) asked me to add a red model, and I did. Originally there were no comments about post-factory paint. Then I looked at the eBay photos from 122462375583 sale, and became suspicious about paint work.

What do you both think about these paint issues (paint bleeding under the cap, rough paint edges, etc)?
Could it be due to a very thick paint layer, which peels off with time?

Untitled-1.gif

diser
Site Admin

Postby diser » Tue May 02, 2017 7:45 am

I removed the post-factory comment until we figure out if these kind of paint issues are one-off, or they present in most models. Also I added the recent eBay sale.

mistermondo

Postby mistermondo » Tue May 02, 2017 7:58 am

Hi Guys, thanks a lot for your post about Dust Duca colored.
As you know I collect italian camera and italian camera are my specialty. In may years that i collect i bought also italian old photography magazines for have information about the cameras. I have italian magazines from about 1850 until the 1960s. So i know all Reviews of italian factories in that years. Also when I found I bought brochure, instruction and advertising of the italian cameras of that era. In this way i have a lot of informations. In attach the pictures of what i have in my collection, two red (now one is sold) one the most rarest wine color NOT BROWN brown doesn't exist) and one black. Yes one time I saw one model red painted but is easily recognizable because the paint/surface became smooth and non-marbled as are the originals. You can see it from the pictures. I will post the advertising where you can see pictures and read the right color produced from DURST. Thanks a lot again, ciao, Dario
Attachments
_Y5A0495.jpg
_Y5A0494.jpg
_Y5A0493.jpg

diser
Site Admin

Postby diser » Tue May 02, 2017 8:04 am

Thanks a lot, Dario! Great compilation, and awesome collection!
Looked in M.Malavolti book, he also suggests the same colors lineup as John mentioned. Haven't seen white one for sure.

Dario, could post a photo with opened door for the other red one of yours, please?

mistermondo

Postby mistermondo » Tue May 02, 2017 8:19 am

here the duca with open door.
Attachments
_Y5A0497.jpg

diser
Site Admin

Postby diser » Tue May 02, 2017 8:25 am

That was fast, thanks again, Dario! Seems like this is a common issue (or we can call it feature).

By the way, brown/wine showed some interesting details. Seems like it has another red layer underneath?

diser
Site Admin

Postby diser » Tue May 02, 2017 9:52 am

Interestingly, durst.it, still the same company, shows the same colors in its history: "black, brown, blue, red or white".

Madd10

Postby Madd10 » Tue May 02, 2017 1:11 pm

Well ... After all Durst is a producer of cameras (or a producer of enlargers) not a painting company ;)
Let's go and find these brown, blue, red and white versions ...
Interested in seeing what I am collecting ? Check out my camera collection:
http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/mycamprofile.php?uid=988

Return to “Appraisal and identification questions”