Ernemann or ICA

If you can't find a camera on our web-site, you may ask for the free appraisal or identification here.
hjh67

Ernemann or ICA

Postby hjh67 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:43 pm

Dear ll,

Few days ago I won the camera shown on this link

http://www.huuto.net/kohteet/hienokunto ... /375452185

Unfortunately most of you cannot read the Finniish descriptions but the photos are more important. Prior to placing my bid I asked the seller to inform on the auction site what is printed on the camera handle, for some reason he did not respond.- After recaiving the camera it was quite clear to me that it is not an Ernemann, but clearly an ICA Volta 146 as embossed on the carrying handle. There is also ICA brass plate on the body, lens is an ICA Hekla and the serial No looks like ICA's. But the removeable ground glass holder says Ernemann. So I gave negative marks to the seller explaining also the reason. Naturally he did not like it as he says that the camera was sold as an Ernemann to him by some camera guy in Germany. Further he hints to report me to the web auction management due to my wrong camera identification. The seller also argues that this camera is some mix from the ICA, Ernemann etc merger time

I would like to get some comments regarding the camera identification. Particularly if the camera identification can be mainly based on the removeable ground glass unit or is the identification to be based on what is said on the body and lens.

Madd10

Re: Ernemann or ICA

Postby Madd10 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:09 am

A somewhat tricky question. I think that the seller should at least have mentioned that it is a "mixed model" ICA/Ernemann to avoid any problems. Listing it as an Ernemann without mentioning the other features or at least providing enough pictures so that one could draw their own conclusion is in my opinion not correct.

In theory, the removable ground glass could have come from another camera so you do have an argument to classify it as a ICA camera as the body and lens are clearly ICA.

The Volta 146 was produced by ICA until 1926 but subsequently also by the Zeiss Ikon merger after 1926. Ernemann and ICA were both part of that merger. Was this camera maybe put together around that period ? Then you might actually have Zeiss Ikon which is branded as an ICA/Ernemann !!
Interested in seeing what I am collecting ? Check out my camera collection:
http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/mycamprofile.php?uid=988

Return to “Appraisal and identification questions”