Request for appraisal - Kunik Petie

If you can't find a camera on our web-site, you may ask for the free appraisal or identification here.
IanS

Request for appraisal - Kunik Petie

Postby IanS » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:42 am

Hello,

I'd just like to point out that I am new to this (or any) forum. Hopefully I have posted in the right place.

I have inherited a small camera from (I believe) the late 1950's. I have identified it as a Kunik Petie Vanity. It is finished with a brown/tan marble effect leather. I would describe condition as good for its age, but not perfect. The camera incorporates a ladies compact and lipstick holder. These items are present but the mirror has some corrosion. The shutter appears to operate freely. The camera is complete with original box (poor condition) and original instruction manual (excellent condition).

Attached are a couple of photographs.

It would be much appreciated if someone would give me some indication of its value, and any suggestions as to the best way to sell it. A local antique shop offered me £10 (and said they had no idea about its value) but I can't help thinking its worth more.
Attachments
P1020886_1.jpg
P1020883_1.jpg

mauro.corneo

Re: Request for appraisal - Kunik Petie

Postby mauro.corneo » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:08 am

Hello "IanS " look at your mail :)

John Kratz

Postby John Kratz » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:21 am

Wow, £10!? I'm so glad you didn't accept that! Yes, I would say it's worth a bit more than that! At least a couple of zeros more!
Have a look at some of the cameras in my collection:
http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/mycamprofile.php?uid=396

mauro.corneo

Postby mauro.corneo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:02 am

Hello, Petie camera housed in a make-up compact. Front door opens to reveal mirror and powder. One top knob contains a lipstik, another provides storage for an extra roll of film. Beautiful art-deco marbelized finish in red,green,or blue. Chrome or gold-colored metal. Also made with colored-leatherette covering.Said to be made by Kreher & Bayer, Offenbach, West Germany. Kigu, a British maker of powder compacts, reportedly made some pre-production samples for the ensemble.
A few of Kigu's original sample cameras first went on auction in 1989,in original boxes. Record price of $ 3000 was set for blue/chrome version at Christie's famous December 1991 "Spy Camera " auction. New condition cameras have continued to appear regularly at auction. Normal range : $700-1000 :D :D :D

mauro.corneo

Postby mauro.corneo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:05 am

I agree well said

Return to “Appraisal and identification questions”