PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS

If you can't find a camera on our web-site, you may ask for the free appraisal or identification here.
Daniel C

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS

Postby Daniel C » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:57 am

Very often, posts requiring camera estimates are not providing the minimum information necessary for a correct and serious estimate.
In my opinion, the following should be clearly addressed as a minimum:
- First of all, a good photo is absolutely necessary to see the real cosmetic condition of the item to estimate. A post without any photo but with sentences like " fairly good condition" does not mean anything because often applied to a collectible camera that is in fact a wreck.
- Damages on bakelite, metal parts or leatherette, missing parts should be indicated.
- The condition of the lens should, obviously, be detailed (presence of fungus, scratches etc... )
- Condition of bellow, if any
- A camera which is still able to take photos has more value than one which cannot. The good functioning of the shutter (at every speeds including slow speeds), diaphragm, rangefinder and/or photo cell (if any) must be indicated in the post.
- The presence of accessories, original box, original user's manual is to be indicated because it may increase the value of the item.

Daniel
Paris

diser
Site Admin

Re: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS

Postby diser » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:24 am

Daniel, good idea.
I made a link to your post from the "Appraisals" section, and also made it "sticky/announcement"-type over there, so it will always be on top. Also changed subject.
Thanks!

arnstone

Re: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS

Postby arnstone » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:47 am

I agree also. I am kind of amazed when someone wants an appraisal of a camera without even a picture. :oops:

Return to “Appraisal and identification questions”