Berning Robot: Robot Royal 18

Notes related to specific cameras
Recorder

Berning Robot: Robot Royal 18

Postby Recorder » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:43 am

This is an Robot Royal 18 a,as written on the top behind the bodynumber.The "a"means a detachable back and the possibility to install magazines for up to3000 pictures.I think,a Robot Royal 18,without "a" is not existing.The difference is on the knob on the right side of the top.The dented knob will drive the film within the bigger magazin.There were only 72 cameras built for special purposes.

diser
Site Admin

Re: Berning Robot: Robot Royal 18

Postby diser » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:43 am

Thanks for the details! It is interesting how Berning was placing identifying letters at the end of the model name of the serial number. Do you know of any other locations?

Recorder

Re: Berning Robot: Robot Royal 18

Postby Recorder » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:55 am

Hello Eugene,
my DVD Robot book is on its way.Please give notice,when you get it.
Secial numbers on Robot cameras start with model I.THere is no letter in front of the number between ca.3000 and ca.25ooo.
But there are a few cameras.about 35 from 1938 with special numbers like 25123-5 which were test models for the later Luftwaffen model.Luftwaffe letter is "F"-for Flieger(Pilot).Example-45675-8.Also there are mostly black Robot II,looking like the Luftwaffen model,but with the prefix "B"and a number like 45987-6.But no engraving"Luftwaffeneigentum"Those were not buit in in the planes,but for the"Kriegsberichter"-Reporters of the Luftwaffe.
The "C" is for the Robot IIa.Bevor ,1940 ,during war,the 200 exemplares of the Robot 375 had the prefix "D",following some experimental cameras,perhaps with"C",which have never been built.After the IIa follows theJunior with "J",then the Star with"D"again.The next one is the Star "Vollautomat" with the prefix L- in front of the body number.Later the prefix "2".The Star 25 and Star 50 have their names after the number of pictures thy could take in one run.The have normal ascending body numbers.
Next are the mecanic Recorders.They have besides the body number engraved "Mod.I",then the 6 digit number K-123456 .
Some have a variable film window from 0-24 to 36x24.They have the letter"f" (K-123456 f)Mod I-IIIpossible.The 24x24 Royal exists as Mod.II,prefix"H".The Royal 24x24 Mod.III has the letter G,later none.The Royal 18 has "G",the Royal 36 the letter"Z",and also Mod.III,later none.Then there are ca.50 different Motorrecorder with electric motor with different names like B,CM,D,with prefixes like B,C,CHZ,MB,ME,MEX,CE,ED,BET,DFP.DFT,DNP,DZ for the different purposes.
It may be interesting to know that ROBOT Berning ,according to the body numbers didn't produce more then ca.200000 cameras in 75 Years.
Best Regards,
Rolf

Return to “Camera comments”