Edwards Camera Appraisal

If you can't find a camera on our web-site, you may ask for the free appraisal or identification here.
RichardBugg

Edwards Camera Appraisal

Postby RichardBugg » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:37 am

Hi. I am wondering if anyone here has any ideas / information about this camera (type, value, rarity etc). A google search shows some photos by Ernest Edwards from the address on the camera (5 Bishopsgate, Without, London) These are albumen prints in the National Portrait Gallery. I can't find any info of this camera but believe there were many one off cameras made at that time. Lens is basic and unscrews easily. Has Grubb Patent 242 inscribed and some numbers on the barrel which focuses(?). I assume there would have been a glass viewing screen on the back. I also assume it was used for a 70mm square (approx) glass plate of some kind. I just bought on ebay in a lot with other cameras. Thanks
Attachments
P1090307.JPG
P1090303.JPG
P1090299.JPG

diser
Site Admin

Re: Edwards Camera Appraisal

Postby diser » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:40 pm

From what I understand, A. W. Bennett was a publisher at that address, and he employed photographers (some hiring ads are out there). So, Edwards must have been a photographer for Bennett. As far as camera itself, I have a couple of ideas, but still researching. Nothing right now.

diser
Site Admin

Postby diser » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:36 pm

What's that written on the lens? Can't read clearly.

RichardBugg

Postby RichardBugg » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:02 am

Hi. It says No 242 Grubb Patent. Also some numbers around the end of the barrel 1 through to 6, (I think 6, will let you know if different next week. Cheers Richard

Return to “Appraisal and identification questions”